Cockles and Mussels served with leeks, mashed potato and a carrageen moss sauce.
Potatoes (for mashing)
Carrigeen moss (couple of tablespoons) chopped
Leeks, thoroughly cleaned and finely chopped
To Serve; Young Sea Greens/ sweet vinaigrette
1. Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water under soft, Drain and mash with lots of seasoning and some butter.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the leeks in a knob of the butter for about 5 minutes until golden in colour.
3. Clean and debeard the mussels. If any mussels are opened, tap them lightly on a hard surface. If they don’t close, discard them.
4. Add the thoroughly washed mussels and cockles to the leeks with a glass of white wine.
5. Put a tightly fitting lid on the pan and cook the mussels for about 3-4 minutes, giving the pan a shake from time to time. The mussels/ cockles are cooked when they’ve opened up. Be sure to discard any that don’t open.
6. Remove the shellfish with a slotted spoon to a warm serving dish.
7. Add the carrigeen moss and 75ml of cream, heat until the sauce has slightly thickened, then pour over the shellfish.